Sunday, November 30, 2014

Fasting regularly

I learned about fasting in a religious and spiritual context.  

As the child of parents who were members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, I learned about fasting early. I learned that at the age of 8 or so, my siblings and I could miss breakfast on the first Sunday of the month while concentrating on prayer and spiritual things. (At the time it was more about feeling hungry and less about prayer and spiritual things.)  We saw that our parents skipped two meals that day and then donated money to the Fast Offering Fund of the church to be used to care for the poor.  

As I grew, I, too, learned to skip two meals on Fast Sunday and to pray for my own needs and the needs of those I cared about.  As an adult I, too, donate to the Fast Offering Fund in order to help care for those who have less than I do.  I try to be generous when donating to this fund, recognizing that my generosity will better help those who need help, and that it will help me to make a sacrifice that is enough to make me think. A sacrifice that causes me to pause when I contribute helps me feel my contribution, just as missing two meals and feeling hungry helps me feel for a moment what those who are poor feel on a regular basis.

I grew up in a family of small means.  As a child I did not feel poor, but I knew our resources were limited, and that my Mom worked hard to make little stretch into sufficient and, at times, plenty.  I knew that Christmas and birthdays came from Goodwill and flea markets. (Back then it was not chic to shop in such places.)   My siblings and I helped Mom glean the orchards and berry patches after the farmers had finished their harvest.  I learned to make bread and can fruit and vegetables at my mother's elbow.  All the time I thought it was just what moms taught their children.  As an adult I realize that my mother was providing during times of limited means.  In spite of limited means, my parents taught my siblings and I to fast and to contribute to the Fast Offering Fund as our means and faith permit.  

Fasting will never be a means to improve my physical self, or to cleanse in preparation of improving my eating habits.  Fasting will always be a means of righting myself before the Lord, an opportunity to cleanse my spirit in preparation of asking for the blessings of God to be poured out on me and those I love.  Fasting is opportunity to lend my faith to those whose need is greater than mine at that moment, and who I can help as they search, struggle, and work out elements of their life that need support, direction, and personal revelation.  And, when combined with contributing to the Fast Offering Fund, it provides for me a marvelous experience on a regular basis.



No comments:

Post a Comment