Saturday, November 13, 2010

Preface:

I have always wanted to write. I have kept journals, written family newsletters (albeit short lived), and even started a blog or two (and then immediately discarded them). However, I will start again and see what develops.

A few days ago D. called me and said, "Mom, I had a dream about you last night. In this dream you called and said that you had some nasty disease and only had two weeks left to live. I said to you lets do something fun together." She went on to say that my response was, "Oh, D. if I had three weeks left, we could do something fun. But with only two weeks left, I just can't." We laughed together at the silliness of it, but I have not been able to get that comment out of my mind.

I often want to write to or tell my kids things that I think about concerning the gospel, their lives, my life, their dad and a myriad of other thoughts, concerns, ideas, principles... you get the idea. I have also often thought I would like to write a letter to each of them (I even start them now and again) that would be given to them when I die. But, when do I write such a letter?
Do I write it when they are young and still impressionable? (too late) Do I write it over a period of years and they would find it when I die and they are all teary eyed and sorry they didn't spend more time with me? It never came to fruition in any form.

So, now I plan to keep this blog, adding posts as I think of things I want to tell my children. They can read it or not. (When I send them those emails, they have to read what I write.) In any case it is out there for them and the rest of the world to see. I have not chickened out. I have followed through. I feel better already about what I will tell them.

No comments:

Post a Comment